After 11 years of planning and two years of contruction work, the twin buildings of Feltrinelli, signed by Herzog and de Meuron, are ready.
The land in Porta Nuova belongs to the Feltrinelli family since ‘800 and it was unused since the days of bombing in 1943. This architectural intervention gives a new face to this part of the city, enriching it with a new green and pedestrian area.
The buildings, five floors high, are made entirely of glass, a kind of encounter between Lombard Gothic and Modernism. Feltrinelli spaces will host on the ground floor a large bookstore and café, four floors of offices and a panoramic reading room on the top floor.
The huge archive of the Foundation, 200 thousand volumes, 17.500 periodical collections and a million and a half of handwritten cards, will be stored in two underground floors.
While a building will host the Feltrinelli spaces, the other will be Microsoft’s new Italian headquarters.